Jalapeno Watermelon Agua Fresca – a subtly sweet, spicy and endlessly refreshing drink, this homemade watermelon agua fresca is perfect for summer parties or anytime hydration.
Is it summer yet? My Vitamix thinks so. It’s been running all morning blending up tasty drinks that just scream SUMMMMMMMMER. (See the caps there? Screaming. Also, yeah, drinks, as in expect to see a few more of these around the piggity blog sooooon…)
I thought I’d lay this first one on you just in time for Cinco, since it seems festive and party-like and agua fresca sounds good rolling off the tongue. Well, maybe it sounds better rolling off of Salma Hayek’s tongue, but I think you know what I mean. And if your tongue is anything like Salma’s, well, someone’s ears are lucky.
But for realsies. This Jalapeno Watermelon Agua Fresca is some flippin’ FRESH. ASS. WATER. YO.
And yeah, I realize how that reads. I’m just gonna keep on typing forward because it’s about a thousand times more satisfying than backing over ass water. It’s summer, after all. Ain’t nobody got time for regrets. Embrace the present! Live in the now! Buy sixteen new Target bikinis!
I’m feeling it.
You’re gonna love this fruity, spicy, chillaxed drink, you guys. Not only is homemade watermelon agua fresca the perfect drinko for Cinco, it’s just easy living in a glass. Cool, sweet, spicy. And it turns out that when you blend watermelon with coconut water, you get a super refreshing, hydrating bevvie that tastes 100% LESS like man sweat. So much winning.
More recipes like this Jalapeno Watermelon Agua Fresca:
- Fizzy Herbed Pineapple Limeade
- Strawberry-Lime (Coconut) Agua Fresca
- Honey-Lime Watermelon Floats
- Pineapple-Mint Coconut Water Frappe
Enjoy this Homemade Watermelon Agua Fresca with:
- Mochiko Chicken Tacos with Umeboshi Mayo
- Weeknight Homestyle Bison (or Beef) Enchiladas
- Cantina Laredo Carne Asada Nachos
- Crispy Carnitas-Style Pork Belly + Spanish Rice
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1 cup coconut water
- ¼ - ½ cup jalapeño simple syrup (see recipe below)
- lime & mint for serving (optional)
- Add watermelon, coconut water and simple syrup (start with ¼ cup) to a blender and process until very smooth and frothy, about 30 seconds. Taste for spice and add more syrup, if necessary. Serve immediately over ice with a squeeze of lime and a stripey straw. Or, cover and chill for up to a day, stirring before serving. Enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup organic raw sugar or coconut sugar (coconut sugar will make a slightly muddier drink)
- 1-2 jalapeños, halved lengthwise
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat to a simmer, stirring or swirling until sugar is dissolved. Add halved jalapeños and simmer, covered, for an additional 5 mins. Remove from heat and allow jalapeños to steep in syrup until cooled, about 10 mins. Remove peppers before using syrup (and put them to use in your favorite salsa recipe -- or top off some tacos!).