Jalapeno Watermelon Agua Fresca – a subtly sweet, spicy and endlessly refreshing drink, this homemade watermelon agua fresca is perfect for summer parties or anytime hydration.
Is it summer yet? My Vitamix thinks so. It’s been running all morning blending up tasty drinks that just scream SUMMMMMMMMER. (See the caps there? Screaming. Also, yeah, drinks, as in expect to see a few more of these around the piggity blog sooooon…)
I thought I’d lay this first one on you just in time for Cinco, since it seems festive and party-like and agua fresca sounds good rolling off the tongue. Well, maybe it sounds better rolling off of Salma Hayek’s tongue, but I think you know what I mean. And if your tongue is anything like Salma’s, well, someone’s ears are lucky.
But for realsies. This Jalapeno Watermelon Agua Fresca is some flippin’ FRESH. ASS. WATER. YO.
And yeah, I realize how that reads. I’m just gonna keep on typing forward because it’s about a thousand times more satisfying than backing over ass water. It’s summer, after all. Ain’t nobody got time for regrets. Embrace the present! Live in the now! Buy sixteen new Target bikinis!
I’m feeling it.
You’re gonna love this fruity, spicy, chillaxed drink, you guys. Not only is homemade watermelon agua fresca the perfect drinko for Cinco, it’s just easy living in a glass. Cool, sweet, spicy. And it turns out that when you blend watermelon with coconut water, you get a super refreshing, hydrating bevvie that tastes 100% LESS like man sweat. So much winning.
More recipes like this Jalapeno Watermelon Agua Fresca:
- Fizzy Herbed Pineapple Limeade
- Strawberry-Lime (Coconut) Agua Fresca
- Honey-Lime Watermelon Floats
- Pineapple-Mint Coconut Water Frappe
Enjoy this Homemade Watermelon Agua Fresca with:
- Mochiko Chicken Tacos with Umeboshi Mayo
- Weeknight Homestyle Bison (or Beef) Enchiladas
- Cantina Laredo Carne Asada Nachos
- Crispy Carnitas-Style Pork Belly + Spanish Rice
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1 cup coconut water
- ¼ - ½ cup jalapeño simple syrup (see recipe below)
- lime & mint for serving (optional)
- Add watermelon, coconut water and simple syrup (start with ¼ cup) to a blender and process until very smooth and frothy, about 30 seconds. Taste for spice and add more syrup, if necessary. Serve immediately over ice with a squeeze of lime and a stripey straw. Or, cover and chill for up to a day, stirring before serving. Enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup organic raw sugar or coconut sugar (coconut sugar will make a slightly muddier drink)
- 1-2 jalapeños, halved lengthwise
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat to a simmer, stirring or swirling until sugar is dissolved. Add halved jalapeños and simmer, covered, for an additional 5 mins. Remove from heat and allow jalapeños to steep in syrup until cooled, about 10 mins. Remove peppers before using syrup (and put them to use in your favorite salsa recipe -- or top off some tacos!).
BEAUTIFUL pictures!!! you are inspiring me to do better with my pictures!! love your site. so glad i found it!
Thanks Becky! You’re too sweet. I love the stuff I’ve been seeing at The Cookie Rookie lately. Those tiny little BLTS – gah! 🙂
This looks so refreshing, and on a day like today where it’s so hot I could gulp a few of these! Such pretty pictures too!
Thanks Debi – watermelon is definitely my spirit animal when it starts heating up outside!
Ooooh! I love spicy sweet! This looks so fabulous! And yeah this pics are so pretty!
Awh shucks, Grace. And this from a gal that knows a thing or two about gorg photos! <3
Your pictures look so good it makes we want to give it a try. I love watermelon! Visiting from Tasty Tuesday.
Thanks for the sweet words and for stopping by, Dawn!
Oh gosh Emily, this sounds amazing!!! I love chilli in cocktails/mocktails, the bit of extra warmth and zing always makes the drink extra special. This one is both aesthetically gorgeous and delicious-sounding. I’m looking forward to more Cinco de Mayo posts! x
Gee, thanks Laura! I love a bit of spice in my cocktails, too. (Don’t think I’m letting a drop of the leftover simply syrup go to waste!) It’ll be me, my sofa, and some kinda spicy booze going down tonight. Totally glam. 😉
Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Love List | Pretty in Pistachio
Wow, what an ingenious combination – I never would have thought to pair jalapeño and watermelon together, but I can definitely imagine it’d be delicious! Love the color combo, too. Can’t wait to try this!!
Thanks so much! I hope you will give them a shot — if you like spice, the combo will definitely work for ya. It’d be great as a sorbet or granita flavor, too. Happy (almost!) Cinco!
That’s a gorgeous recipe.. I’ve got to give a spicy, sweet drink a go and pronto! Love it!
This is gorgeous!!
This is gorgeous! It’s weird, the weather here changed from super cold and raining to super hot and sunny pretty much overnight. So I consider it summer 🙂
Me too! Even if it’s only for a spell, I’ll take it!
Some refreshing drink this looks like! Perfect time to try it here. Thanks for the recipe and the enticing pics…
Pingback: The P&Q’s Cinco Cinco – and a Foodie App update | the pig & quill
Oh Em, this looks pretty darn good! Happy week-end to you!
Thanks Cheri! To you as well. 🙂
I. Love. Agua. Fresca. And this looks soooo so so beautiful and refreshing and delicious, lady! I can’t wait for it to warm up more here so I can give this a shot. Yum, ass water. 😉
Pingback: Drinko de Mayo: 20 skinny sips that will send your taste buds into a salsa dance.
Pingback: Creamy Eggs with Garlicky Greens, Avocado & Chili Oil | the pig & quill
Pingback: Strawberry-Lime (Coconut) Agua Fresca | the pig & quill
Pingback: Chile-Lime Watermelon Paletas (vegan + paleoish/gf) | the pig & quill
Pingback: Party Time | Cinco de Mayo | Babe Daily
Pingback: Let’s Make Mocktails! « SOUTH BY NORTHWEST
Pingback: 23 Non-Alcoholic Cocktails That Taste Better Than Booze | Hi Cydia
Pingback: 10 Mocktail Recipes to Enjoy During Pregnancy | completenews
Pingback: 12 Sparkling Mocktail Recipes for NYE | Buy This Cook That
Pingback: Friday Mocktail: Watermelon Agua Fresca – Dry Sparkly