Ok guys. Here it is: the post (or rather, posts) that’s officially gonna take your “waaaaaah it’s already August, Poopiecakes McBacktoschool” and turn it into “it’s peak sweet corn season beeeyahs, mah summer’s juuuuuuust getting started!!”
Because a summer without corn is just pool hair and ReddiWip.
Ear cuffs and Dippin’ Dots. Rollerblades and boy bands.
Oh, sorry, thought we were listing our fave childhood shit.
Are you still there?
The shameful thing is that corn actually isn’t all that commonplace in our house, even when it’s at the peak of candy-sweet, 10-for-a-dolla awesomeness. The simplest explanation would be that Chris is so neutral on corn that it breaks my heart a little each time he fails to give it even a passing glance. But really, it’s because corn in our house turns into, without fail, all the corn in my belly. Ever. Like six ears in one sitting and then it’s at least half an hour of “baaaaaaaaaaabe whydyoulemmeeatsomuch cooooooooooooooooooorn.” And then some corny bathroom comment, because together Chris and I have a combined age of, like, 11.
This season, though, I was lucky enough to find corn in our crisper more than once, and after seeing vendor upon vendor packing sweetly charred kernels of mayo-draped corn into tiny plastic cups along the Malecon, I kinda had to follow suit.
So I started with the basics – a bright, zippy version of Mexican street corn that’s got all the shalangalang of the classic but oomph’d up a tad so it eats almost like a salad. Which is perfect, because there’s no such thing as eating six ears of salad, so your belly is totally safe. And if there is such a thing as eating six ears of salad, it’s probably one of those things that’s 100% endorsed by healthy, six-packy people like Gwyneth Paltrow. In fact, I’m pretty sure Gwynnie would be tres down with overeating some Mexicorn. Real life, guys.
After you eat like six salads of Mexicorn (ah, you’re just rolling with it, that’s cool of you), you’re probably gonna want to shift gears and crack out another bushel of sweet corn with — ya’ll ready for this? — some SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM.
Your street corn just got HAWAIIAN, B-nuts.
But I’m gonna save that for tomorrow. Because I’m tricky. And also 47 jillion corn pics are a lot of corn pics, even for a CRNLUVR like me. (<– new license plate, it’s happening.)
So, this is today. And Mexican Street Corn loaded with crisp jicama, cool crema and salty cheese is calling. your. name.
Happy Schweet Corn Season!
- 4 ears worth of grilled corn (see below), removed from the cob
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- few shakes hot sauce, such as
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup jicama, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- handful cilantro, finely chopped
- generous sprinkle chile salt, such as
- Tajin seasoning
- Whisk together sour cream and hot sauce.
- Gently toss corn with sour cream mixture, lime juice and jicama. Top with grated parmesan, cilantro and chile salt to taste. Serve with extra lime. Enjoy!
- Round up as many ears of corn as you'd like to grill. (The recipe here uses four large ears each.)
- Remove corn husks and silks and rinse ears briefly under water. Shake off excess water.
- Grill ears over an open flame until charred on all sides, turning frequently, about 5 minutes. (See note.) No worries if you hear some popping -- it's norms. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cob using a sharp knife. When all kernels have been removed, run the back of your knife down the length of the cob to press out the remaining sweet, starchy bits. (This video gives a nice demo - plus a Bundt pan? Heyo!)
- Dress corn with the fixin's of your choice. Enjoy!
Oh hey, before you go…Like whatcha see here — or have a question, feedback, or recipe hack to share? Join The Pig & Quill convo by commenting below (I love, luv, lurve comments) and hang out with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. And don’t forget to subscribe to P&Q emails (see that nifty box up there in the sidebar?) or add me to your RSS reader with Feedly or Bloglovin’ so you never miss a post. x’s & o’s!